master and slave nameservers

Started by ddorsch, March 06, 2006, 11:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddorsch

I am testing NicTool with PowerDNS using MySQL5 with triggers and views. Now having my primary PowerDNS-Server almost done, I turned to the first secondary and wonder: How can I tell him who's his master?  
When live, I'll have customers who run the primary nameserver outside NicTool and therefore need slave action to get the records.
How is this solved with other nameserver types? Is it no matter who's the primary, are all chosen Nameservers primaries?

Perhaps I've just missed a chapter in the docs. Can you give me a hint, please?

Thank you,
Dorothea  <°(((><
<°(((><

matt

Since you are pulling the data out of the SQL server, why even have a secondary?  Replicate the data to the second server using MySQL replication tools and have another primary, and another, and another.

The only reason to have secondaries is if you use BIND.

ddorsch

Hi Matt,

thank you for your reply.

matt wrote on Wed, 15 March 2006 23:54

Since you are pulling the data out of the SQL server, why even have a secondary?  

No Question, as long as all nameservers of a zone are run by you, database replication will be the most elegant solution.
But I have customers who stick to the "hidden primary" solution and a few where we deliver secondary services. I'd like to have all of my zones managed via NicTool, and so am looking for a way to enter the secondary and hidden primary zones also. Okay, the records won't be editable, but I'd have all of my zones in one place, you know.

I think about adding another table, row oder misusing one of the present rows now.

sincerely,
Dorothea
<°(((><

matt

Well, you could do that, but I always found the best solution, and the path of least resistance is to run a copy of BIND on one IP address and use it to do secondary.